Trojan News :: Real Time News

Featured National

Kogi State APC Candidate Audu Feared Dead

Prince-Abubakar-AuduThe governorship election in Kogi state has ended with reports that Prince Abubakar Audu the APC governorship candidate passed away.

Audu, from the results declared by the INEC, from the 21 local councils in the state, had won 16 and was clearly ahead of the PDP opponent and incumbent, Idris Wada.

But INEC  declared the election  inconclusive, despite projections by the media that he had won.


According to  results declared by the Returning Officer, Emmanuel Kucha (Vice-Chancellor of the University of Agriculture, Makurdi),  Audu scored 240,867 while Idris Wada of the Peoples Democratic Party garnered 199,514 votes.

Mr. Kucha said the margin of votes between Audu and Wada is 41,353.

And introducing the first twist, he declared that the  election was inconclusive because the total number of registered voters in 91 polling units, in 18 local government areas, where election was cancelled is 49,953.

He said   by INEC guideline, no return could be made for the election until supplementary election is held in areas where election was cancelled.

The local governments won by Audu are Ofu, Ida, Kabba Bunu, Yagba East, Yagba West, Adavi, Koton Karfi, Ankpa, Okehi, Ajaokuta, Ijumun, Olamaboro, Igalamela, Bassa, Lokoja, and Ibaji. The PDP was victorious in five local governments namely Ogori Mangogo, Omala, Okene, Dekina  and Mopa-moro.

Now came the second twist, a tragic one: instead of being declared winner of the election,  Audu was declared dead.

His death was confirmed by a senior official of the APC. In response to our enquiry, he simply sent back an SMS: “Yes, Dead”.

TheNEWS learnt that he had a massive stroke this morning, from which he never recovered.

According to sources, Audu was said to have fallen ill after he cast his ballot in his village of Ogbonicha yesterday.

Sources said he was vomitting blood at some stage, but was stabilised by doctors around him.

However his condition worsened this morning, having suffered a massive stroke.

Just when an air ambulance was being organised to  lift him for better medicare, he gave up the ghost.

According to multiple sources, he died around 3.10 pm today, some minutes before the INEC  returning officer declared the result of the election, his fourth since he left office in 2003,  inconclusive.

About The Author